Your health check up will include a blood test as well as a collection of the 24 hours urines, these exams should be carried out 3 weeks before the consultation so that we can integrate them into your computerized record.
Then, according to your heath status and the treatment prescibed, part of those exams will be controlled.
This health check up should be performed by the Synlab laboratory and for the Louise Medical Center patient(e)s, on place by a nurse.
Upon request, the lab can provide the tubes and the bottle for urine.
How to perform blood samples
The blood sample must be taken on an empty stomach for 8-14 hours, but after drinking a half to two third of a liter of plain water within the two hours before the blood test.
During the 3 days preceding the blood test: If you take testosterone, DHEA, Oestrogel, take this treatment in the evening rather than the morning. During the day before the blood test: stay calm, no sports or other intensive activities. During the 2 hours before the blood test : drink ½ to 2/3 liter of water. Do not take any medication but take your treatment immediately after blood collection.
Method for collecting 24-hour urine
- You should collect every drop of urine during each 24-hour period. It does not matter how much urine is passed each time, as long as every drop is collected.
- Begin the urine collection in the morning after you wake up, after you have emptied your bladder for the first time.
- Urinate (empty the bladder) for the first time and flush it down the toilet. Note the exact time (eg, 6:15 AM). You will begin the urine collection at this time.
- Collect every drop of urine during the day and night in an empty collection bottle. Store the bottle at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- If you need to have a bowel movement, any urine passed with the bowel movement should be collected. Try not to include feces with the urine collection. If feces does get mixed in, do not try to remove the feces from the urine collection bottle.
- Finish by collecting the first urine passed the next morning, adding it to the collection bottle. This should be done within ten minutes before or after the time of the first morning void on the first day (which was flushed). In this example, you should try to void between 6:05 and 6:25 on the second day.
- During the transport urine should be kept between 2 to 10 C°.
- Avoid intense activities (sports) the day before and the day of urine collection (sedentary conditions).
- Your diet should reflect your daily habits. Do not eat at the restaurant the day before your check up.
- Please, stick on the urine bottle(s) a label with your name, date of birth, gender, address, date of collection and the total volume.
- A second urine sample may be requested. This sample should be collected after drinking two glasses of water just after the 24-hour urine in a 10 milliliter urine bottle.